Mama Maria Clinics – US is primarily a volunteer organization. U.S.-based team members are largely volunteers. This has helped Mama Maria accomplish a great deal on a small budget over five years.
We are looking for dedicated individuals or couples interested in spending one or two years in Kenya. If you’re interested in learning more, please read on. If you qualify for a posted position and can commit at least one year, please contact us for an application.
Please Note: Because of the nature of our organization and the work we do, we are only able to consider volunteers able to spend one year or more at our facility in Kenya. Please verify that you meet all of the qualifications for the position before applying.
U.S. Volunteers work in concert with our African staff by overseeing the following (fully functioning) programs:
- Acting as Personnel Manager for our African staff
- Overseeing Hospital Operations, including public health projects, education, and outreach
- Managing continuing education for our African medical staff
- Training and equipping our African staff to take increasing management and technical responsibilities
- Ensuring supplies are procured in a timely manner and the property and vehicles are maintained
- Implementing/improving basic systems, where needed, that work within the local paradigm, and training staff to successfully master these
- Communicating with the local community leaders, and government officials
- Communicating and working in tandem with US organization/Board to ensure project goals are met
- Managing and overseeing Mama Maria micro-enterprises
Volunteer Benefits: Although we do not offer salaries to those who volunteer in Africa, Mama Maria does pay for all the costs of traveling to, working in and living in Africa. Mama Maria will cover roundtrip transportation, room and board, life and health insurance, immunizations, Visas, and allow for 30 days vacation per year. For volunteers serving two years in Africa, Mama Maria will also provide roundtrip tickets to return to the U.S. for a visit at the end of the first year.
Who are our Volunteers in Africa?
The volunteers we are seeking should have a sense of adventure and an easy going personality. Commitment and dedication to improving the lives of those living in the developing world is a strong requirement, as is a sense of humor and ability to be flexible and adjust to changing circumstances. We hope to find individuals with a humanitarian motivation for doing this important work, but who recognize they are there to work within an established and successful African-based program.
Unfortunately, the nature of Mama Maria’s work does not afford opportunities for volunteers who are not able to stay for a year or more. All of our volunteer positions, when available, are in management-level positions that require at least a one-year term.
We post internship opportunities as they become available. Please view open positions to check availability and apply according to the instructions in the job description.